The Restoration...

Using archeological and architectural evidence, and the detailed records maintained by the Moravian Aufseher Collegium, the Zevely House has been restored both inside and outside to it's 1844-1856 appearance. the restoration quality exceeds the standards set by the Secretary of the Interior for historic preservation and it's comparable to other museum-quality restorations throughout Old Salem. The rear two-story ell-shaped porch, front shop entrance, and other original features were established; millwork, doors, flooring, plaster, brick, mortar and other components were preserved or reconstructed to match original. Evidence of original fabric has been left throughout the building for guests to see.

The Man...

Augustus Theophilus Zevely (1816-1872), a saddler, doctor, and mayor of Salem, was born in Salem to Br. Van Neman Zevely, a prominent cabinetmaker, and his wife, Johanna Sophia Shober Zevely. As a boy, he was sent to the Moravian Boys School in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, when he was 16, to learn the saddler’s trade. He returned to Salem to set up shop in 1836, but stayed for only a little over a year, leaving to study medicine at Jefferson College in Philadelphia.
Br. Zevely graduated with a medical degree from Jefferson College in 1840, and again returned to begin his practice. In October 1840, he married Lucinda Paulina Blum, daughter of Salem printer John Christian Blum and Maria Transou Blum. They had five children for whom some of the guest rooms are named.
In June 1845, he bought this house which David Blum had constructed the year before. In 1845, Zevely began operating an inn here for travelers the Salem Tavern could not accommodate.

The House...

The Zevely Inn reflects well the buildings of the 2nd quarter of the 19th century in Salem. Built of brick laid in common bond, the building pays attention to symmetry in its balanced facade. The separate shop door entrance however, is a holdover from the earlier styles. This building is the last example of that detail in Salem. Prior to the current structure, this site was used as a Continental gun powder magazine (1781-83), tavern annex (1784-1842) and copper smithy (1845). Over the years, several major additions and alterations were made to the Zevely Inn as it continued its hotel use. These included a two-story addition to the south connecting it with the Leinbach House and a large two-story porch across the front, both since removed. Hotel use ended around 1895-1900. Following its subsequent use as a tenement, later as a residence and then apartments, restoration began in 1993.

The Town...

The Historic District of Old Salem was designated a “Registered National Historic Landmark” by the US Department of the Interior in 1966. Within the landmark are unrestored, restored and reconstructed buildings, which as a whole, present an authentic architectural representation of the community of Salem between 1766 and 1856. The Augustus T. Zevely structure is considered by the Historic District Commission to be an integral and contributing part of the total landscape; the Commission strictly governs its use and appearance.

The Moravian sect which founded Salem originated in Moravia, part of the Czech Republic, in 1457, After an initial colonization attempt in Georgia, the “Brethren’ established their first American permanent presence in Pennsylvania. In 1753, through one of Carolina's British Lord Proprietors, the church bought a 98,985 acre tract, first called “Der Wachau’ and then Wachovia. Planned as the central town of the colony, Salem construction did not begin until 1766 and the Salem congregation was formally organized in 1771. The church governed all activities in the town until 1856, when the “congregational town’ ended. The Moravian church still has great influence in the community.

The Area...

Old Salem is surrounded by the city of Winston-Salem, formed by merger in 1913 of Salem and the newer town old Winston, The City forms, with Greenboro and High Point, the “triad’ which has become a center of industry, education and science for the southeastern United States. Long the tobacco capital of the nation, Winston-Salem is becoming known as a banking and medical center.

Amid the bustle and traffic of modern Winston-Salem, Old Salem remains a green place apart, protected by orchards and farm plots, where the life of an 18th century German-American town goes on uninterrupted.

Rooms

The Augustus T. Zevely Inn Bed and Breakfast

Old Salem Historic District
803 South Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

winstonsalembandb.com

(336)748-9299
Toll Free: 1-800-928-9299